Invest in your community. Inspire others.
Closely modeled after the Great American Cleanup, volunteers can now borrow cleanup supplies from Keep the Midlands Beautiful throughout the year in order to make an immediate, visual change in our community—at no cost to you! Keep the Midlands Beautiful will lend cleanup supplies, including gloves, vests, litter grabbers, and trash bags, to individuals and groups of two or more for a one-time cleanup on any day of the year.
How to Conduct Volunteer-Led One-Time Clean-ups
1. Gather a team and designate a Group Leader.
2. Set a date and select a location. For a list of suggested locations, see lists available on the Adopt-a-Highway, Adopt-a-Street, and Adopt-a-Waterway pages. If you do not see the road or waterway that you'd like to clean up or if it appears to be adopted, please call us at (803) 733-1139 to discuss options.
3. Develop a plan to remove and dispose of your bags of litter (and recyclables if applicable). KMB is not able to pick up bags from one-time clean-ups.
- For information on where to take bags of trash in Lexington County, click here.
- For information on where to take bags of trash in Richland County, click here.
4. Complete the Registration Form to Request Supplies. To receive a copy of the form in the mail, contact KMB. NOTE: If you are requesting supplies for 20 or more people, you must provide a credit card information over the phone to guarantee the safe return of all supplies. Call (803) 733-1139 Monday - Friday BEFORE supplies are needed.
5. Return the completed form by mail or email.
- Mail to:
Keep the Midlands Beautiful
1305 Augusta Road
West Columbia, SC 29169
- Email to GAC@kmbsc.org
6. Pick up supplies from the KMB office located at 1305 Augusta Rd, West Columbia, SC 29169. Supplies are provided at no charge. KMB will provide grabbers, gloves, safety vests, and trash bags. Recycling bags, masks, and hand sanitizers are also provided upon request. Request supplies using the Registration Form.
7. Complete your cleanup! Ensure that you stay safe by following these Safety Guidelines.
8. Return all your supplies and any leftover bags to KMB within one week after your cleanup. If you prefer, you may purchase your own grabbers and gloves from KMB or elsewhere.
9. Report your results. Group Leaders must submit a short Report Card to document the number of volunteers, hours spent, and number of bags of litter picked up. If you prefer, report this information by calling KMB at (803) 733-1139 or by emailing it to GAC@kmbsc.org.
10. E-mail photos of your team and of the area before and after picking up litter to GAC@kmbsc.org. Photos sent to KMB may be used on KMB's website and/or social media pages.