How to Participate in the Adopt-A-Street (AAS) Program for the City of Columbia
1. Gather an interested and enthusiastic group who is willing to adopt 5 blocks of a city street and be responsible for picking up litter along its right-of-way FOUR times a year for a TWO YEAR period.
2. Select a street in the City of Columbia to adopt from the list below.
- To see if the street you are interested in adopting is available, click on the list of streets below.
- Adopted streets have been highlighted and are NOT available.
City of Columbia Streets
- If the street you are interested in adopting appears to be taken or is not listed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (803) 733-1139 to confirm and discuss options.
3. Complete the AAS Agreement Form below after you have selected your street and have confirmed that it is available. Please call (803) 733-1139 to have a copy of the form mailed to you.
4. Return the completed form:
- Mail or deliver to:
Keep the Midlands Beautiful
1305 Augusta Rd.
West Columbia, SC 29169
- E-mail to KMB at email@example.com
- FAX to 803-733-1119
5. Your designated group leader must attend an official safety training session before your group can participate in your first pickup.
- Keep the Midlands Beautiful provides safety training sessions every three months.
- Alternatively, an online safety training module may be completed at your convenience.
- For additional information, click here.
6. A group member, or other designated person, must request and then pick up supplies from the Keep the Midlands Beautiful (KMB) office in West Columbia.
- Supplies are provided at no charge.
- Supplies provided include safety vests and trash bags as well as recycling bags, masks, and hand sanitizers upon request. KMB loans litter grabbers and gloves for each pickup.
- Request supplies at least one week in advance by completing this AAS Supply Request Form or by calling (803) 733-1139.
7. Complete your cleanup! Stay safe and hydrated. If your group members did not all sign the Agreement Form, have them sign in on this Waiver Form.
If your group chooses to pick up litter on the four weekends designated by KMB and the City of Columbia, the bags of litter will be picked up by the City of Columbia. If your group chooses different days, you are responsible for properly disposing of the material. Learn more here.
8. Return grabbers and gloves to the KMB office within one week of each pickup. The gloves and grabbers are washed and these supplies are loaned out for other pickups.
9. Submit a short report card online after each pick-up to document the number of volunteers, hours spent and number of bags of litter collected. See the Report Card here. If you prefer, call (803) 733-1139 to provide the information over the phone or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Pick up additional trash bags as needed from:
- KMB Office located at 1305 Augusta Road, West Columbia, SC 29169.
11. The group leader will receive quarterly updates and information about the AAS program through KMB's electronic newsletter, Road Reader.
12. The City of Columbia will install a sign recognizing the group's participation in the AAS program.
13. E-mail photos of your team and of the area before and after picking up litter to AAH@kmbsc.org. Photos sent to KMB may be used on KMB's website and/or social media pages.