The Midlands Green Business program is a partnership between the City of Columbia, Lexington County, Richland County and Keep the Midlands Beautiful. This program is designed to recognize businesses who adopt sustainable and eco-friendly business practices, thus keeping our community cleaner, greener and making it a more beautiful place to live. Learn more about the Midlands Green Business program in this brochure or on our public Midlands Green Business Facebook page. Search for or tag @SCMGB or go to:
Mumford Industries, Inc. in Ninety Six SC is now recycling plexiglass. Learn more here.
The Benefits of Green Business Membership:
- NEW * Access to a Member's Only Facebook Page:
- Access to sustainable mentors
- Green Business workshops and networking events
- Green Business promotional opportunities
- Listing and link on Midlands Green Business website
- Membership seal for office or building
Why Should My Business Go Green?
Being more sustainable allows you to:
- Protect the environment;
- Showcase your organization's corporate social responsibility;
- Lower operating costs;
- Appeal to new customers;
- Take advantage of tax breaks and financial incentives.
Eligible Businesses & Organizations
- Any organization that adopts sustainable/eco-friendly practices
- Any business located within the City of Columbia, Lexington County, Richland County
- Any size or type of organization including service, merchandising, manufacturing, home-based and non-profit.
Midlands Green Business certification is based on activities in four primary categories:
- Pollution prevention and air quality
- Waste reduction and recycling
- Energy conservation
- Water conservation
For tips you can use to help our environment in each of these four categories, read this Green Business Help Sheet.
Certifications are valid for 2 years. Midlands Green Business members will receive a reminder to recertify prior to their membership expiring. Simply complete another application to stay current.
How to become a Green Business Member?
Simply complete this brief online application!
Membership is free. Once approved, your business name and website will be posted to the Midlands Green Business website. We will also add your name to our contact list to help you stay up-to-date on MGB events and other opportunities!
Links to Participating Businesses Located in:
- Wednesday, August 18, 2021 (time TBD)
- Information presented by Richland County on stormwater issues and raingardens
- Tour of Owen's Field
- Social Hour at the Hanger (aka the Hunter Gatherer Brewery)
- November, 2021 (date TBD)
- City of Columbia presents Meat-less Mondays and environmental impact
- May 20, 2021 - Webinar on (1) the Midlands Green Business Program, (2) SC DHEC's Smart Business Program and (3) Opportunities for involvement in Keep the Midlands Beautiful.
- November 19, 2020 - Focus Group and Social Hour at Hunter Gatherer Brewery
- August 27, 2020 - Webinar on Recycling Options in the Midlands
- February 18, 2020 - Presentation and tour at Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center
- October 29, 2019 at Cayce-West Columbia Library with speakers from Lexington County Stormwater and Kay Plumbing
- July 31, 2019 at Dominion Energy
- April 8, 2019 at City Roots
- January 30, 2019 at Nephron
- June 29, 2018 at the Columbia Water Building
- March 23, 2018 at Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens
City of Columbia - Mary Pat Baldauf- Sustainability Facilitator
Lexington County - Laura Anne Hunt-Lexington County Recycling Coordinator
Richland County - Syndi Castelluccio-Richland County Recycling Coordinator