The Midlands Green Business program is a partnership between the City of Columbia, Lexington County, Richland County and Keep the Midlands Beautiful. This program is designed to recognize businesses who adopt sustainable and eco-friendly business practices, thus keeping our community cleaner, greener and making it a more beautiful place to live.
The Benefits of Green Business Membership:
- Access to sustainable mentors
- Green Business workshops and networking events
- Green Business promotional opportunities
- Listing and link on Midlands Green Business website
- Membership seal for office or building
Why should my business go green?
Being more sustainable allows you to:
- Protect the environment
- Showcase your organization’s corporate social responsibility
- Lower operating costs
- Appeal to new customers
- Take advantage of tax breaks and financial incentives
Eligible Businesses & Organizations
- Any organization that adopts sustainable/eco-friendly practices
- Any business located within the City of Columbia, Lexington County, Richland County
- Any size or type organization including service, merchandising, manufacturing, home-based and non-profit
It’s easy for your business or workplace to be recognized as a Green Business!
- Begin by establishing a workplace “Green Team.” It can be a group of people or it can just be one person. You decide!
- Use the Green Business Help Sheet for suggestions for this and future years
- Upon approval, participants will be notified.
Midlands Green Business certification is based on activities in four primary categories:
- Pollution prevention and air quality
- Waste reduction and recycling
- Energy conservation
- Water conservation
How to become a Green Business Member?
Learn more here. Then, complete the application!
Once approved, your business name and website will be posted to the Midlands Green Business website. We will also add your name to our contact list to help you stay up-to-date on MGB events and other opportunities!
Upcoming Events: October Meeting – TBA
City of Columbia
Mary Pat Baldauf– Sustainability
Keep the Midlands Beautiful:
Laura Blake-Orr – Core Programs Administrator
Traude Sander-Lexington County Recycling Coordinator
Jackie Hong-Richland County Recycling Coordinator