What is the Great American Cleanup?
The Great American Cleanup is a nationwide cleanup program that is held each year by Keep America Beautiful. Keep the Midlands Beautiful promotes the Great American Cleanup each year, kicking off on June 1st and ending on October 18th. Through this program, KMB is able to provide you with the materials and resources you need to make an immediate, visual change in your community.
What can Keep the Midlands Beautiful do for me as I plan my cleanup?
Keep the Midlands Beautiful is happy to provide you with cleanup supplies (including gloves, vests, litter grabbers, and trash bags) to groups of two or more for a one-time cleanup during the program period free of charge. We also lend free supplies during the entire calendar year for any other volunteer-initiated one-time cleanups. Because the cleanups are coordinated by volunteers, volunteers are also responsible for arranging trash bag removal after their cleanup is complete. Please click here for information about Richland County Solid Waste Management or click here for information about Lexington County Solid Waste Management if you are unsure of where to take your full bags.
How do I coordinate a cleanup?
Here are some steps to take as you organize and carry out your cleanup:
- Gather a team and designate a group leader.
- Set a date and pick a location (location to be approved by Keep the Midlands Beautiful).
- Develop a plan for bag removal.
- Register and make arrangements with KMB to pick up your materials.
- Complete your cleanup!
- Return your supplies and any leftover bags to KMB within the week after your cleanup.
- Report your results.
Your results are important to us, and we ask that you submit a short Report Card about your cleanup when it is complete. There are three ways to turn in a Report Card:
I'm ready to register!
To register for the GAC, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page. You may also register by phone at (803) 733-1139 or by email at GAC@keepthemidlandsbeautiful.org. If you are registering by phone or email, we ask that all group leaders provide the following information:
- Group leader’s first and last name and contact information (phone and email)
- Proposed cleanup location (to be approved by KMB)
- Proposed cleanup date (any day that works for you and your organization!)
- How many people you expect to participate in your cleanup
- Materials you will need from KMB (safety vests, gloves, grabbers, bags)